Thursday, March 31, 2011

The CR-X Has Landed - Project PRO.2 Mugen Replica JDM EF8 SiR arrives

The next morning I got up early and bought donuts for the staff at the shipping company. This was both to make amends for being a giant pain in the ass by calling all the time and maybe help coerce them go the extra mile to deliver my car safely and on-time.

My fiance gave an Oscar-worthy performance to convince her boss she wasn't feeling well and left work at 10am. We met up at her place and drove to Dieter's shop to await the phone call to say the CR-X was on the way.

We were there for about an hour when the call came in that the CR-X would be delivered at 1pm.

One o'clock came and went with nothing. We sat in the waiting room. We sat in Heather's car. I paced outside, watching the street. I paced inside, in the showroom. By 2pm Heather had fallen asleep, but I was too wired to doze even though I was working on an all-day adrenaline rush with three hours of sleep under my belt.

I glanced over at something happening in the shop and when I looked back out the window, I caught a glimpse of ugly white wheels in mid-air. I yelled out “there it is!” and jumped out of my chair, camera in hand. The driver had driven past the entry to the shop and continued down the street. I really think that was just God’s way of prolonging my wait by another few minutes. As we got out to the sidewalk we saw him driving back the way he came, and he passed by us again!!



I will never forget that moment when I saw her riding majestically on the back of the flat bed truck. She was a little dirty, and looked a little rough around the edges, but that was ok. She had just come to the end of a very long journey, and was about to begin another one here in Canada. As the driver rolled past, I yelled out “Hansen’s!” as loud as I could. Luckily he heard me and did a u-turn back towards the shop.


While the driver was inside getting the paperwork signed, a small crowd began to form, surrounding the car like vultures, snapping pictures with their phones and ogling the newest Japanese car to hit the streets of Calgary. The driver came back out and began the off-loading process. I was taking some video of her release, when the driver asked me if I could get in and back her off the truck for him. The car was so low to the ground that he had to lay some blocks under the front wheels while someone backed her off the truck.

So I climbed up on the ramp, already about 45 degrees in the air, and opened the door. The first thing I remember was that ‘Japan’ smell (Anyone who has ordered parts from Japan knows that smell: it's a very distinct odor that wafts to your nose when you first open a package of parts straight from Japan). Well, that and a little stale cigarette smoke smell.

I tried to keep the door open while I climbed into my car for the very first time. As I sat down for the very first time I whispered softly “Hello” and tried to get my bearings. I was terrified. My first time sitting in the driver’s seat of a right-hand drive car, let alone my first time driving a right-hand drive car, and the driver is expecting me to back it off of a flat bed at a 45 degree angle.

Lovely.

I had visions of taking out the front bumper on the way down, or running over the Hansen’s driver, or worse, making an ass of myself in front of the small crowd gathered around the front of the shop.

I put the key in the ignition, my foot on the clutch and turned... This was it... ‘Would it start?’ I wondered.

She fired up with that typical Honda starter sound, and ran smoothly and cleanly. I didn’t see plumes of smoke from the tailpipe, so I was a little bit relieved. There was still the small matter of backing it down. I reached over to gear lever and – wham! I whacked my right hand into the door. ‘Oh yeah, it’s over there’ I thought, and chuckled to myself. Backing the car off the truck was a lot easier than I thought it would be, no scraping, the Hansen’s driver was unhurt, and the bumper was intact. I pulled it over to an available parking stall and shut her down.

She had landed.




Remember, this blog was written in chronological order so, you will need to click OLDER POSTS to move forward in time, and click NEWER POSTS to go backwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment