Thursday, March 31, 2011

JDM CR-X Fever... My 1988 CRX turns into Project 88


My first JDM part: rear seat for my CRX

My rear seat arrived in the Spring of 2001. It was in mint condition, and cost me a little under $600Cdn with shipping and Western Union fees (although Asuka asked if I had a PayPal account, I didn’t even know what that was back then).

Rear Seat installed in my 88 CRX Si

By late 2001, I had quite the ‘JDM wish-list’ for my CRX in progress and had signed up for an eBay account. Coincidentally, my eBay account was actually the first time I’d used the screen name JHMED. When I created my account, every name I entered seemed to be taken already, so I tried something obscure: the first five letters of my VIN number… and JHMED was born.











After being sniped on a few auctions on eBay, I quickly realized that using the computer at my job on my days off or after work was simply too limited a time-frame. If I wanted to get the parts on my list I’d have to make a non-automotive-related investment. So I bought a computer and had a DSL internet connection installed. 







Glass roof I bought for $750
Over the next four years I had amassed enough parts to make a reasonable JDM CR-X SiR replica from my North American CRX. I had a glass roof,  tail lights,  power folding mirrors,  front end conversion, the list goes on and on…


JDM Front End Conversion
By far the best purchase I made was a Honda accessory ashtray called the Personal Box. I bought the Personal Box on eBay from a seller named rickcab1. With shipping and the Canadian exchange, it worked out to a little over $300. After a few weeks, and it hadn't arrived, I checked online tracking. It showed that it was still in California. I called the seller and he checked with FedEx.

They lost it.


My Personal Box "Ashtray"
Rick called me immediately and offered my money back. I told him “I just bought a $300 ashtray; do you think I care about the money? I just want my Personal Box.” FedEx eventually found it and delivered it to me. Over the course of the next couple months we began to IM each other and became good friends. With his help my project went into full swing, he hooked me up with several contacts overseas, and he helped me find some rare and amazing parts. Without his help I doubt my current CR-X would be what it is today.





Funny (But True) Cartoon


Remember, this blog was written in chronological order so, you will need to click OLDER POSTS to move forward in time, and click NEWER POSTS to go backwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment