Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Tough Decision - Import JDM CR-X Si / SiR or build SiR replica from USDM, JDM and EDM CRX parts?


1989 JDM EF7 CR-X Si
One day in February 2005 a 1989 JDM CR-X EF7 Si showed up at my work. It needed ball joints and other small items fixed. It was only the second genuine right-hand drive CR-X I’d ever seen in person. I found out that it was for sale but the current owner/importer had to get the ball joints and some other things fixed before he could drive it to Edmonton to complete the sale.



I started to seriously think about it. I’d considered buying a genuine RHD CR-X before, but this was different. I agonized over this decision; I couldn’t sell my baby, but at the same time, I was facing an $8000Cdn bill for body work alone (to install the glass roof, new quarter panels and rockers (rust), cut and weld SiR front bulkhead (so I could use stock motor mounts for the engine instead of HASport ones) and a complete repaint). Then I needed to buy a B16A engine and transmission, and I’d need to complete the installation of all the other toys I had purchased over the last five years. I could do some of the basic labor myself, but it was starting to feel a little overwhelming. The cost of all the parts, and the constant search for something in better condition kept me constantly on the verge of being broke.

A JDM EF8 from Edmonton I'd considered buying but couldn't afford.



Moving to Calgary in the CRX
This decision wasn’t all about money though. It was also about time… I had recently turned 30 and I wanted to drive my CRX again before I was ‘an old man’. And then there was the sentimental factor. I’d had that car for almost nine years. I gave up many paychecks so that she could have tires, or servicing or whatever else she needed. Years before, I lived on bread & peanut butter and dry Rice Krispies for an entire month because I couldn’t afford groceries after paying rent, car payments, and insurance. I moved myself to Vancouver in 1997 and then back to Calgary (1999) using only the CRX. She was also my first ‘real’ car – not a beater, and with payments. She was like an old friend. She was with me when times were good and she was there when times were bad.

Moving to Calgary in my CRX

Even though this new CR-X wasn’t in the greatest condition, I realized I already had over 90% of the parts to make it a decent looking car. I’m not really into power or speed, I’m just as happy with all show, no go. Another big plus was that it was drivable… now. At the rate I was going, with my CRX I was at least two years before I could reach the point where I could consider driving it again. It had been parked since October of 1999 so I could work on it, and I had done a lot, but there was still so much to do.
The state of "Project 88"



The state of "Project 88"

The next day, I made the call to the owner/importer. He said he already had an offer on the table for that car, but I talked him into entertaining my offer. The money was better and he wouldn’t have to go all the way to Edmonton to sell it.

He told me that he would call the other potential buyer and then call me later in the day to firm up the deal.







I had made my decision.


Remember, this blog was written in chronological order so, you will need to click OLDER POSTS to move forward in time, and click NEWER POSTS to go backwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment