Thursday, March 31, 2011

Dec 15, 2013 - Just some things that have been on my mind.

December 15th, 2013

I've been lurking on different message boards/forums and I've worked in the automotive industry for years. I've seen many people of all sorts come and go from the 'Honda scene'. Almost all of them have been younger than me, a few who have been older... Some have moved on to BMWs, Audis, Volvo etc to satisfy their 'need for speed', or to adapt to a higher income bracket/social status. Some are still driving newer Hondas, modified but very mildly so, and some others have dropped from the scene altogether to focus on their family or homes or personal growth.

When I bump into them from time to time I always get the question: "Do you still have your CR-X?" And when I say yes, it's a little comical to see their reaction. It's always a little different each time: Some people are surprised, some are impressed with the commitment replying with a "Really? Wow, you've had that car a long time, haven't you?" Some are negative saying things like: "You could have bought a Benz for all the money you put into that car." And some have this little twinkle of regret in their eye that most folks who've never owned a CRX probably wouldn't notice or even understand. 

When someone says on the forums what car they are going to buy or have just bought their first car and they want to know what to do to modify it, I think someone should sit them down and have 'the talk'. Not the birds and the bees but a facts of car-life discussion.

It should be explained to them that the cars you drool over in magazines and in shows are not built overnight and generally run into the tens of thousands of dollars to get to where they are when photographed for magazines or next to the three-foot tall trophy, etc.You have to pay to play in this hobby if you want to get to that level. Sometimes the price you pay isn't always measured in dollars and cents. Sometimes it's your time, and sometimes it's as simple as taking the bus to work because you don't want to drive your car in the winter. It's sacrifice, commitment and above all, you have to have patience, perseverance, and a desire to learn. In some cases you need to spend just as much time researching the parts you need/want, and trying to find them as you do working on your car; sometimes more in fact. In other words, it takes dedication to create a build that others drool over in magazines or that will win at shows.

You need to live it, breathe it, eat it, sleep it, and most of all... Dream it. Then make that dream into reality.

That's the real "Power Of Dreams."

Sounds fucking corny. I was actually cringing as I typed it, but it's true... There's a book out there called The Secret, and it was made into a documentary/movie. Overly simplified, the idea is that if you wish for something hard enough, your wish can come true. But it's not about wishing for the Ferrari or the career or the house or whatever and have it appear overnight. It's really about the focus, the drive, the dedication, the desire and the patience to make what you dream or wish for into reality. Over a period of time. How much time is up to you and the results may vary.

So many young kids I see entering the scene today have no patience.I'm convinced that's why so many people, young kids especially, throw lowball offers on Craigslist, Kijiji eBay and other places. They don't want to wait until they save their money for a part they want/need. They'll just offer what they have in their pockets and what they can find in the couch cushions and hope the seller is dumb enough, or desperate enough, to take it. It's aggravating and frankly, I find it insulting.


ProTip: If I use proper English and spelling in my ad, please try and respond in kind. I love the: "Sup, do u still hav da mugan spoilr 4sale?Will u sell 2 me 4 50bux? Help a bro out? thx" responses so much, I have a special folder that I store those emails in... It's called Deleted Items.

And while we're on the subject, what is with all the people talking negatively on forums about how much this part costs or how much that auction is bid up to, etc...? It seems like they're on a personal mission to convince other people that everything worth having should cost less than $200 or it's just "not worth it". Maybe it's part of a strategy to keep the bidding down or try and shift people's focus away from it so they can get the part for less, I don't know.I find it annoying since I believe the market on used parts should be the final determination on how much something is worth. Just because some people think I'm crazy for spending $300CAD on a Personal Box doesn't mean it wasn't worth it to me. I had the money, I work at a good paying job, my bills are paid, who cares how much I bid on the item (except me, the seller, and the guy I outbid)?

I remember a time not so long ago when it seemed there was virtually no limit to the amount people would spend for rare JDM parts. Maybe it's the sign of a dying fad, maybe the sign of the economic times, and maybe it's a sign of people not wanting to commit to a 20+ year-old car anymore. Maybe it's a little of all three.

Some sellers are trying to piss into the winds of change by refusing to lower prices based on market demand or lack of. That's fine by me, I'm certainly not going to hate on them privately or publicly... Like I said, the market will be the final determination of their stuff because the only true value any of these parts have is what people are willing to pay for them. An eBay Buy It Now listing at $800 for a Honda Access A-Piller Map Light that's been on eBay for a year may be priced a little higher than the market is willing to bear at this point in time but it is the market deciding that by virtue of the fact it's still listed after a year.

Besides, who's to say that someone right now isn't saving their couch change and sacrificing some sleep to work an overtime shift in order to save money and eventually click Buy It Now because it's worth it to them and they had the dedication and patience to make it happen... 



Remember, this blog was written in chronological order so, you will need to click OLDER POSTS to move forward in time, and click NEWER POSTS to go backwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment