Thursday, March 31, 2011

September 7th, 2014 - Rear Bumper Install Redux

September 7th, 2014 - Rear Bumper Install Redux


I'll admit, it kinda bothers me that I don't have the rest of the PRO.2 kit installed. It bothers me that I'm still running with the stock bumpers and the front isn't painted to match. And it bothers me that I have a Flint Black Metallic rear Mugen bumper sitting in my garage instead of sitting on my CR-X. I tried to install the rear bumper once a couple years ago but I failed due to some issues with the mounting points on the driver's side where the bolts for the rear beam go into the body.

So, armed with my Dremel, I decided to try try again.

I removed the rear bumper and examined the damage to the mounting point.




Next I attempted a fit with the Mugen rear bumper with the beam attached and confirmed that it still doesn't fit quite right. The mounting bolt doesn't make it thru the body sufficiently to attach the nuts.



I took my Dremel and ground the opening towards the right edge. The beam now fits snugly without the bumper, but when you add the bumper to the mix again, it still isn't sitting quite right. I reviewed the instructions from Mugen for installing the rear bumper (yes, I have those too, as I said before "information is power") and cannot find anything I've done incorrectly, though admittedly I can't read Japanese, so I stand corrected. I cannot find anything I've done incorrectly according to the pictures on the Mugen rear bumper installation instructions.

In the end, I've simply decided to prime and paint the bare metal where I ground the mount point and will be reinstalling the OEM Honda rear bumper. 




Note: I'm not too worried about prepping the rust, the car never sees rain and rarely sees so much as a mud puddle. It will survive until I get it taken care of when I take the car in for other required body work.



Remember, this blog was written in chronological order so, you will need to click OLDER POSTS to move forward in time, and click NEWER POSTS to go backwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment