September 26th, 2026 - Honda Heritage Works Parts Program
Also available in: 日本語 | Deutsch | Français | Español
PART 1 – Why Honda Heritage Parts Matters to CR-X Owners
Honda Heritage Works - Parts Program
If you own a CRX/CR-X, you probably already know this
feeling… You need a part. You find the part number. You go online or call your
local dealership only to discover the part is discontinued.
Then the hunt begins.
Maybe there is one sitting on a dealership shelf somewhere.
Maybe somebody in Japan has new-old-stock. Maybe there is a decent used one on
Yahoo Japan. You fight the scalpers or other owners who are equally desperate. And maybe the only ones left are thirty-some years old,
sun-baked, cracked, rusty, warped, and someone has put a price tag on it that’s
worth more than you paid for your whole car.
For those of us trying to preserve or restore these cars, it’s simply become “the life of a car guy with a Golden Era Honda”. But this year Honda has quietly given us another option.
Honda Heritage Works
In April 2026, Honda officially launched “Honda Heritage
Works”, their new program intended to help owners keep older Honda and
Acura sports models on the road.
One part of that program is called “Honda Heritage Parts”.
Honda is taking selected parts that have gone out of
production and putting them back into production. Depending on the component,
that can mean a genuine reproduction manufactured using essentially the
original materials and production methods, or a newly engineered compatible
part using modern materials or manufacturing techniques.
The program started with the first-gen NSX. The NSX
already had a long history with Honda's factory Refresh Plan and gave Honda a foundation to build the new program on... But here’s the
interesting part… Honda has specifically said that it plans to
expand Heritage Works to other classic sport-type models in the future. Classic. Sport-type. The CR-X kinda fits that description nicely.
One important thing to note is that, as of September 2026,
Honda has not announced the CR-X as an upcoming model.
This is where things get really interesting: Honda is asking owners what parts they need. Buried on the Honda Heritage Parts website is something I think every owner of CR-X, or any other older Honda should know about: Honda has a Heritage Parts reproduction request form.
And the best part: This form isn't just for the NSX but other models too.
Honda says it intends to continue expanding the reproduction
program and is asking owners to tell them which parts they need and why. Those
requests are collected and used as reference when Honda considers future
reproduction projects. Honda is also very clear that submitting a request does
not guarantee that a part will be reproduced. And also important to note:
This is not an order form.
Submitting a request does not mean you're committing to buy if
Honda eventually makes it. You're just telling Honda that there is demand for
the part.
Maybe your CR-X has all bronze glass but you had to settle for a green windshield? Maybe your glasstop glass is cracked or the seals have shrunk and water is leaking into the car? Or maybe things are working at the moment, but will that still be the case five years from now when the car is 40 years old?
If Honda is trying to decide which 35+ year-old parts are worth spending money to reproduce, one of the clearest ways we can show Honda there is demand is to tell them what we need. Those of us who have been around these cars for a long time have watched the parts supply slowly disappear. A part gets discontinued here. Another disappears there.
That’s why Honda Heritage Parts is such a big deal. This isn't about turning every CR-X into some sort of Barrett Jackson-style restoration or insisting that every nut and bolt has to come in an OEM package; the aftermarket, used parts, custom fabrication, 3D printing community and the enthusiast community will always be key pieces of the puzzle of owning these classics.
It's all about having another option — especially for
components where there simply isn't aftermarket support or another substitute.
So why am I bringing this up?
I’m asking every CRX/CR-X owner to submit requests. Not hundreds of random part numbers. Not every discontinued screw or clip in the catalog. Think about the parts that are actually threatening our ability to preserve these cars. Ask yourselves these questions:
- What have you needed, tried to buy, only to discover it was discontinued?
- For me, it was the glasstop seal.
- What would you replace if Honda made it available again?
- For me, that would be the bronze glass windscreen. My windscreen is green but the rest is bronze.
- What part are you afraid of damaging because you know another one may be impossible to find?
- The upper hatch molding, where the washer nozzle is located on the glasstop models, for me.
- What component is currently forcing owners to install an inferior used or aftermarket substitute?
- I have 3 of the four B16A motor mounts from Honda, but the rear is discontinued. Sure, Anchor makes one, but I am hesitant about the quality.
These are exactly the types of parts that Honda needs to know about.
For my part, I've already started going through my Project PRO.2 build, my wish list and the EPC at my disposal. Using my own experience, and my own years of searching for parts, I’m compiling candidates that I think are worth requesting. I will be submitting requests this coming week of parts I think would be beneficial to let them know about. I'll edit this post to share some of those at the end, so other owners can decide which ones matter to them and maybe help give you all some ideas. If it looks like I’ve already submitted a part number you need, please don’t be afraid to submit it again. Honda needs to hear what you need for your car.
Look, I don’t know if the CR-X will ever become part of the Honda Heritage Parts program, but I do know I'd be more comfortable knowing
that there’s a shit-ton of requests from the CRX community waiting for them
when they decide to look into the next round of recreations.
PART 2 - My current Heritage Parts candidates
Disclaimer: I'm not asking anyone to select parts from this list to submit on my behalf, and I'm not suggesting that the list of what can be requested should be limited to this list of parts... I'm only sharing this list of items from my own wish list, and some things I thought might be "nice-to-have" items to help me submit my own forms to Honda. I'm sharing it to help give others some ideas.
* denotes something I thought was a Nice-To-Have
— Heating / Cooling / AirCon System —
*79330SH3941 Heater Resistor
— Glass —
74320SH2000 Glasstop Assy
73800SH2003 Glasstop seal
73100SH2812 Front Windshield Glass Assy. — BRONZE
73205SH2A00 Glass Assy., Extra Windshield
73256SH2003 Molding Comp., Extra Windshield
73257SH2003 Molding Sub-Assy., Extra Windshield, Lower
73258SH2003 Seal, Tailgate Extra Windshield Upper Molding
— Power Steering —
53713SH3N12 Power Steering Pressure Hose
53540SH3N10 Right Side Tie Rod End (Outer)
53560SH3N10 Left Side Tie Rod End (Outer)
53521SH3003 Inner Tie Rod End
— Engine —
*50805SH3N11 Right Mount
*50821SH3N10 Left Mount
*50840SK7010 Front Mount
50810SK7020 Rear Engine Mount
36450PR3004 EACV
— Body —
*73251SH2003 Molding, Rear Windshield Upper
74141SH3J00 Under hood insulation
73251SH2901 Molding, Rear Windshield Upper (Glasstop)
—
PART 3 - Submit your own request to Honda
The form itself can be found here:
https://waigaya.honda.co.jp/user/enquete.do?grp=heritage-works&no=20251127
Natively, the form is in Japanese, but if you use Google Chrome, it is easily translated into English. It's pretty straightforward:
Steps:
- Select the radio button next to Others (You will notice that the engine displacement selection for the NSX then disappears when Others is selected)
- Type in the car name (CRX or CR-X)
- Type in the Chassis number (I don't know if a VIN will work since I no longer have a North American CRX to try)
- The form asks for a prefecture. If you scroll all the way to the bottom, there is a section to select "Abroad"
- Select the amount of kilometers on your odometer (If you really want to convert miles to kilometers for this section use the following formula: multiply the current reading in miles by 1.609344. So, if the current mileage reads 50,000mi, you multiply by 1.609344 which should equal 80,467.2 km and would select the radio button next to ~100,000 km)
- Type in the name of the part you need. I would recommend using the description that Honda uses, but there's nothing telling you to do this on the form itself
- Type in the Honda part number without hyphens. There are several resources online that will help you find the Honda part number you're looking for
- Select the radio button that most closely explains the reason for requesting the part; all the choices are pretty self-explanatory
- There is a free-text box to add or write problems that led you to make your request for this part (500 characters max)
- Next select the radio button that most closely describes how long this problem has been ongoing
- Repeat for any other parts you want to submit (maximum 5 per request)
At this time, I am not sure if there is a restriction or requests by VIN/Chassis or whether a North American VIN will work in the Chassis field. With the inclusion of an 'abroad' option under location, I can only imagine any Honda VIN or Chassis number would work.
Also available in: 日本語 | Deutsch | Français | Español
Remember, this blog was written in chronological order so, you will need to click OLDER POSTS to move forward in time, and click NEWER POSTS to go backwards.



No comments:
Post a Comment